Monday, December 3, 2007

We did promise a post today

I am so very tired right now...work, homework with the boys, waiting for my sister to get home so I can go home, I guess normal life for most, but so off base for me. My sister has a part-time and I'm forced to watch the boys. I guess they could watch themselves, but then I don't trust these people around here. Anywho, I promised our "sister" and fan that we would post something on the Sean Taylor murder. She was deeply moved by this due to having a son, a man, and a brother who this could have been. It didn't hit me that hard. Honestly, I don't know why. I started thinking about my reaction after talking to her and wondering if my reaction to the news is normal. I decided that while it isn't a matter of my behavior being normal or abnormal. After all the murders in the Washington, DC that I've heard about over the years, I've simply became desensitized. I will never forget how in 1996, the murder was was 397. As a young lady barely out of her teens living here alone, I was frightened to walk out my door. Over time I kind of had to grow up, get street smart, and learn that shit happens--just try to keep out the way of the shit. You know that this is the way of life and you deal with it. I have to make decisions to ensure I stay away from it as best as I can. Now if I have that attitude, has anyone stopped to think about how politicians, community leaders, educators, and law enforcement, and Justice department looks at us? I don't think so because if they did, Black people would see we don't stand a chance in hell at surviving as a race. People have given up on us. Our music and behavior show that even WE have given up on us. But this is something we should have saw coming a long time ago. 'Pac predicted this demise a long time ago when he eloquently stated "and if we don't we'll have a race of babies that will hate the ladies and make the babies." Isn't that where we are now? I really do think we know better...we just don't care. There isn't too much more that you can expect from us. Hell, I think after Sean Taylor's untimely homegoing I really don't expect much more from us. It's sad, but it's my thoughts. Until we get back to a place where parenting and education comes first with all people--even those of us without children--it will not change.

No comments: