Friday, November 23, 2007

Black American Children's books

I have complained to Mae about how hard it is for me to find fiction books that have young, black boys as the main characters. My eldest nephew is at a stage where he likes to read and keeps asking for books, but I want him to read things that also focus on him. I think that by doing so, the vigor he has for learning and reading will continue. I have complained to Mae over and over again about how frustrated I've become with trying to find such books. Well today after searching (to what I feel is the end of) the internet, I have found a pretty good site. It's an online bookstore called Just Us Books (http://www.justusbooks.com/modules/content/?id=220) focuses on the history, diversity and culture associated with Black children. I must say that I'm impressed. I am on the site right now and have found about 10 chapter books already that I know he will like. Finally!

No comments: